Kelberman is a leading provider of autism services for children, adults and families in the Mohawk Valley and Central New York.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Impart agency philosophy of the "power of individuals, family, and community working together to maximize our collective potential"
- Maintain confidentiality of information relating to individuals and their families in accordance with agency policy
- Provide supervision to all campers within their assigned group such that a camper is protected from any unreasonable risk to their health and safety in camp
- Assists in completing head counts/attendance upon arrival, anytime the group transitions to another activity or area, and upon departure
- Provide direct visual supervision at all times for all campers within their assigned group
- Assist other counselors and instructors with large and small group activities, and assists campers in their participation in camp activities
- Help to provide all children at camp with enjoyable, fun and safe recreational and social experiences
- Follow all safety plans as directed
- Implement behavior management strategies to help individuals if needed
- Advise leadership of problem situations within their group as soon as possible
- Plan appropriate activities to meet the social/recreational needs of the individual children
- Communicate with parents verbally or in writing on a regular basis
- Maintain attendance records
- Complete program evaluation at the end of camp
- Help to inventory and pack up all supplies and equipment at the end of the program
- Adhere to Kelberman's policies and procedures as well as Department of Health guidelines
- Perform other duties at the discretion of the Camp Director or his/her designee
- Establish a work environment that creates positive communication between supervisors and employees and assimilates new employees to Kelberman’s culture, values and mission.
- Ensure compliance with all pertinent government and Kelberman regulations and operating standards
Education & Experience
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- referred High School Diploma
- Preferred experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities or experience working in recreation programs
- Basic Computer Skills (Including Windows, Outlook, Adobe Acrobat, Word)
- Ability to make independent decisions when circumstances are warranted
- Ability to lift and/or assist individuals in your care and the ability to meet the physical requirements of the specific job
- This position has regular and substantial unsupervised or unrestricted physical contact with individuals receiving services and is required by law to be fingerprinted for a criminal history record check under OPWDD (Office for People with Developmental Disabilities) or OMH (Office of Mental Health).
- Travel and transport are required.
- Must have a valid NYS Driver’s License and require reliable transportation.
An equivalent combination of education and experience which provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility listed above may be substituted for the above education and experience requirements.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- Job related tasks may involve possible exposure to blood, body fluids, tissue or spills or splashes from these substances. May have exposure to unpredictable individuals and situations when working at Kelberman sites.
- OSHA exposure category l.
- The employee frequently is required to stand, walk and sit. Must be able remain in a stationary position for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to bend, twist, reach.
- Must have the ability to lift up to 60 pounds.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising work-flow and efficiency.
Compensation: $16.50 per hour
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.