Kelberman is a leading provider of autism services for children, adults and families in the Mohawk Valley and Central New York.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Implement all aspects of the camp's written medical and safety plans
- Ensure adherence to all health and sanitation measures per Department of Health
- Maintain confidential medical history for each camper per the Department of Health and Office of People With Developmental Disabilities
- Maintain confidentiality of information relating to individuals and their families in accordance with agency policy
- Adhere to all DOH and OPWDD guidelines for the administration, storage and documentation of medications within the scope of practice
- Assess, treat (within the scope of practice and certifications) and documents all cases of illness or injury.
- Ensure that incident reports are filed per agency policy and DOH guidelines
- Develop care plans for a camper who may have special care needs, medical restrictions or modified diet and ensure staff training is completed regarding implementation of any care plan
- Provide in-service training to staff and campers on infection control and health related issues as requested by Camp Director
- Maintain camp's daily medical log
- Provide supervision to aquatics staff
- Communicate any health issues of program participants with parents
- Advise Camp Director immediately of any health and safety issues
- Inventory and packs up all medical supplies
- Impart agency philosophy of the "power of individuals, family, and community working together to maximize our collective potential"
- Perform other duties at the discretion of the Camp Director or his/her designee
Education & Experience
- Valid New York State licensure and/or current New York State registration as Physician, nurse practitioner, physician assistant, registered nurse, licensed practical nurse, emergency medical technician or other person acceptable to the permit-issuing official
- Minimum of one year of medical experience or responding to emergencies is required. At least two years including work with developmentally disabled children and/or adults, is preferred.
- Must possess current certifications for Responding to Emergencies, Wilderness First Aid or equivalent certification, and CPR from approved courses
- Basic Computer Skills (Including Windows, Outlook, Adobe Acrobat, Word)
- Ability to make independent decisions when circumstances are warranted
- Ability to lift and/or assist individuals in your care and the ability to meet the physical requirements of the specific job
- This position has regular and substantial unsupervised or unrestricted physical contact with individuals receiving services and is required by law to be fingerprinted for a criminal history record check under OPWDD (Office of People With Developmental Disabilities) or OMH (Office of Mental Health).
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Minimal risk of chemicals used in cleaning.
Job related tasks involve exposure to blood, body fluids, tissue or the potential for skin or mucous membrane contact from spills or splashes of these substances. May have exposure to unpredictable individuals and situations when working at Kelberman sites.
OSHA Exposure Category I
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, and use hand to finger, handle or feel, and is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The employee must be able to move or lift up to 60 lbs. The employee may be exposed to verbal and/or physical aggression. The employee must have full sight and hearing with fluency in the English language. The employee must be able to stand for long periods of time, to sit down on the floor and get up from sitting on the floor, and to stay seated on the floor for extended periods of time.
Compensation: $24.00 to $28.00 per hour
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.