Kelberman is a leading provider of autism services for children, adults and families in the Mohawk Valley and Central New York.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Activities include but are not limited to the following:
- Team leader in properly utilizing the general ledger in MS Dynamics.
- Maintains the general ledger in accordance with GAAP, prepares monthly journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Performs the month end close in a timely manner.
- Ensures all balance sheet accounts are reconciled on a monthly basis and transactions are coded properly.
- Prepares cost allocation analysis and journal entries.
- Prepares and creates monthly financial reports in the accounting software program.
- Reviews and analyzes monthly financial results.
- Monitors daily cash transactions.
- Assists with the preparation of the annual operating budget and forecasts.
- Develop understanding of all Kelberman programs and services, and communicate and work with program leadership as needed.
- Provides the tracking and analysis of program financial results vs. budget.
- Assists in the preparation of accounting policies and procedures. Identifies and implements process improvement opportunities.
- Assists with financial audits by independent auditors and external governmental agencies.
- Assists with the preparation and timely filling of all local, state, and federal tax returns (Form 990).
- Assists with the preparation of all annual regulatory cost reports including but not limited to the annual Consolidated Fiscal Report (CFR) and Department of Health (DOH) cost reports.
- Develops proficiency in cost reporting manuals such as the Consolidated Fiscal Report (CFR) and State Education Cost Reimbursable manual.
- Develops industry knowledge in the areas of Medicaid billing and insurance billing as it relates to the Center’s programs with oversight from NYS Office of People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD) and State Education Department (SED).
- Models, promotes, and supports the organizational performance values.
- Adheres to mandatory reporting requirements and HIPAA regulations.
- Maintains positive relationships with consumers, families, community organizations, referral sources, and governing bodies.
- Participates in organizational activities that may include meetings, trainings and committees, and special projects.
Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills & Abilities
- Understanding and application of GAAP.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite - high proficiency in Microsoft Excel required (Pivot Tables, V-Lookup, etc.)
- Ability to quickly learn the Center’s General Ledger and associated software applications.
- Applies and actively shares knowledge, expertise, and best practices with the team.
- Accepts and readily adapts to changing priorities, new ideas, strategies, procedures, and methods.
- Encourages others to stay open to change and improvement.
- Demonstrates and promotes respect toward coworkers and adapts behaviors to work effectively with varying people and situations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to manage sensitive and confidential situations with tact, professionalism, and diplomacy.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent decision making, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent time management skills with proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Presents well-considered alternatives when making recommendations.
- Represents the Center by displaying a respectful and caring manner.
- Addresses all concerns in a timely and efficient manner and reports any complaints to their immediate supervisor.
- Complies with quality assurance, OSHA, HIPAA, infection control, safety and other policies set forth.
Education & Experience
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible management experience in the field of Finance or Accounting; experience with non-profits preferred.
- Knowledge of New York State financial reporting requirements and procedures. Understanding of government grant management and reporting.
- This position will work with Microsoft Excel on a regular basis. Advanced Excel experience preferred.
- Intermediate Computer Skills (Windows, Outlook, Adobe, Word, Access, Accounting Software/GP Dynamics).
- Must have a valid New York State Driver’s License.
- Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances are warranted.
An equivalent combination of education and experience which provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility listed above may be substituted for the above education and experience requirements.
- Job related tasks may involve possible exposure to blood, body fluids, tissue or spills or splashes from these substances.
- May have exposure to unpredictable individuals and situations when working at Kelberman Center sites.
- OSHA exposure category l.
- The employee frequently is required to stand, walk and sit. Must be able remain in a stationary position for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to bend, twist, reach with fingers and arms.
- Must have the ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising work-flow and efficiency.
- $70,000.00 - $80,000.00 annually
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.