Kelberman is a leading provider of autism services for children, adults and families in the Mohawk Valley and Central New York.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Activities include but are not limited to the following:
- Monitor and assess medical concerns of the individuals in our care.
- Provide routine and emergency nursing care to individuals in our care.
- Complete all required documentation and reports according to program regulations including quarterly and annual medical reviews and charts.
- Provide nursing and medical in-services to employees in the residential programs and other programs as requested.
- Provide instruction and direction to Licensed Practical Nurses and AMAPs.
- Collaborate with physicians and nurse practitioners on medical issues.
- Train AMAPs and Licensed Practical Nurses on tasks they may complete within their scope of practice.
- Certify and re-certify AMAP’s on an as needed basis.
- Review and act on incident reports.
- Adhere to mandatory reporting requirements and HIPAA laws.
- Provide “on-call” telephone coverage and maintain up-to-date records of all calls received, and recommendations provided.
- Transport and attend Medical appointments for people we support as requested and/or needed.
- Maintains the integrity and confidentiality of the people we support files and records.
- Ensure compliance with all pertinent government and Center regulations and operating standards.
- Establish a work environment that creates positive communication between supervisors and employees and assimilates new employees to the Kelberman’s culture, values and mission. Participate in activities as part of the treatment team that may include meetings, trainings, and committees.
- May be assigned additional duties as required based on business needs of Kelberman.
Required Skills & Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to manage sensitive and confidential situations with tact, professionalism, and diplomacy.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related Software.
- Competencies and experiences necessary include customer service orientation, diplomacy, diversity, flexibility, follow through, safety orientation, reliability and consistency, written communication and cooperation and teamwork, listening skills, optimism, quality orientation, analytical thinking.
- Applies and actively shares knowledge, expertise and best practices with team.
- Behavior supports the mission, core values and objectives of Kelberman.
- Displays flexibility and openness in daily work and encourages others to stay open to change and improvement.
- Accepts and readily adapts to changing priorities, new ideas, strategies, procedures and methods.
- Demonstrates and promotes respect toward coworkers and adapts behaviors to work effectively with varying people and situations.
- Accumulates all relevant information prior to making job-related decisions.
- Presents well-considered alternatives when making recommendations.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner.
- Represents Kelberman by displaying a respectful and caring manner.
- Addresses all concerns in a timely and efficient manner and reports any complaints to their immediate supervisor.
- Complies with quality assurance, OSHA, HIPAA, infection control, safety and other policies set forth.
Education & Experience
- Valid NYS License and current registration as a Registered Nurse.
- AAS Degree in Nursing required; Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum 1-3 years’ experience in working with people with developmental disabilities preferred.
- Must have a valid NYS Driver’s License travel is required.
- Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances are warranted.
- This position must comply with OPWDD regulatory standards and training requirements.
- This position has regular and substantial unsupervised or unrestricted physical contact with individuals receiving services and is required by law to be fingerprinted for a criminal history record check under OPWDD (Office for People with Developmental Disabilities) and most recently in coordination with the regulations of the NYS Justice Center.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Job related tasks involve exposure to blood, body fluids, tissue or the potential for skin or mucous membrane contact from spills or splashes of these substances. May have exposure to unpredictable individuals and situations when working at Kelberman sites. OSHA Exposure Category I
- The employee must have full sight and hearing with fluency in the English language. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to stand, walk and sit. Must be able to sit for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects up to 60 pounds, ability to bend, stoop and squat, and ability to grasp and reach with both hands, including simple, firm and fine manipulation.
- Certain deadlines and unanticipated developments may require work during evenings, weekends.
- Ability to quickly address any emergent issues without losing focus on task at hand.
- Ability to handle stressful and unpredictable situations.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising work-flow and efficiency.
Compensation: $40.00 to $41.00 per hour
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.